Friday, July 25, 2008

You Just Never Know...


Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

Ahhh... Just another typical day of housework and looking after children... or is it??

Finally fed up with the state of Stan's bathroom, I decided it was time for an overhaul. The 300 bath towels, medical supplies, Daniel's various hair clips and hair products and hair brushes and rubberbands and all the other pretty boy items needed to be dealt with. The obvious place for much of these was the cupboard under the sink. As I opened the cupboard door to put them away, a large, coiled rattlesnake greeted me with a loud hiss (I think he was sitting on his rattle)! Ack!!

I quickly shut the door and summoned the guys who were all sitting around in the kitchen smoking and swapping stories. It was the fastest I ever saw this bunch jump up to attention, and several of them took turns bashing the snake without much success. Ken finally grabbed it by its tail, swung it around, and smacked its head on the bathtub, leaving me with the addition of snake blood and a soggy dead mouse to clean up.

I now peek into cupboards before I open them up all the way, I jump a little more at weird sounds in the grass, and in addition to shaking my sleeping bag out each night, I hang it up during the day.








No comments: